- This event has passed.
Senior Famers Market Nutrition Program
February 4 - March 15
The Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program is a win-win for both Alabama growers and seniors. The program provides eligible seniors with fresh, nutritious, and locally grown fruits, vegetables, and herbs from farmers markets and roadside stands.
Each senior participant receives $30 on a benefit card to spend at an authorized Alabama farmers market or registered roadside stand. Seniors can sign-up to receive the benefit card through the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries’ Farmers Market Authority (FMA) website at fma.alabama.gov.
Seniors are encouraged to sign-up early in the year. The application becomes available January 1 each year, and the FMA will take applications until funds run out. To be eligible, seniors must meet the age and income requirements below.
- Participants must be 60 years or older the day of applying
- The household income must be 165% or lower of the 2021-2022 Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- For a household of one, the income must be less than $1,772 monthly.
- For a household of two, the income must be less than $2,396 monthly.
- More information on income levels can be found on the FMA website.
Growers can benefit from this program by expanding their markets to farmers markets and roadside stands and capitalizing on the increased demand created by the program. Growers can participate in the program by first obtaining an Alabama Growers Permit and then taking the needed training and completing the paperwork available on the FMA website.
More information on the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program can be found on the Farmers Market Authority website or by emailing email@example.com.